AGENDA ITEM 10 OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. 33 REGULAR SESSION, GENEVA, SEPTEMBER 29, 2016.
JOINT STATEMENT BY CUBA ON BEHALF OF A GROUP OF 88 COUNTRIES UNDER AGENDA ITEM 10 OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL. 33 REGULAR SESSION, GENEVA, SEPTEMBER 29, 2016.
I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of 88 countries, including Like Minded Group countries, the African Group and Arab Group. The full list of countries is available on the extranet.
1. We reiterate the need to unconditionally respect the inalienable right of every State to choose its political, economic, social and cultural system, as an essential condition to ensure peaceful coexistence among nations and consolidate peace.
2. We demand full respect for the sovereignty of Venezuela, in accordance with the universal principles of non-interference in the internal affairs, the right to self-determination of peoples and the right to exercise the constitutional, political, economic and social system that Nations have sovereignly choosen.
3. We support the Constitutional Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, in his commitment to preserve peace and guarantee democratic institutions of the country, as well as the determination to ensure full observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms in Venezuela.
4. We condemn any initiative to disturb peace and democratic stability of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and that threatens its sovereignty. The right to determine the future of the country belongs solely to the people of Venezuela acting on the basis of respect for the Constitution and national legislation.
5. We call upon all responsible members of the international community to refrain from any manifestation of interference in the internal affairs of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. Creating conditions for establishing constructive dialogue on existing divergences as well as prevention of coercive action for solving disputes are necessary preconditions to successfully overcome the challenges for benefit of Venezuela and its people.